“The exhibition parallels the plight of the passenger pigeon with that of the artists’ maternal lineage, piecing together the fragmented stories and forced migrations of both pigeons and Jews,” said artist Ann Rosenthal. The project is a collaboration between Rosenthal and Steffi Domike with Ruth Fauman Fichman, and also included 14 artists each representing a state within the former nesting range of the pigeon. Continue reading
As a refresher—
- Quiet study areas are on the first, second and third floors.
- Group study areas are the fourth and fifth floors.
- Always bring your ID—the library cards for your safety. Card swipe entry is in effect from 5 p.m. to 7 a.m. weekdays, and all weekends.
- Thursday, 12/18 and Friday, 12/19 open from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturday, 12/20 and Sunday, 12/21 open from Noon to 5 p.m.
- Monday, 12/22 and Tuesday, 12/23 open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, 12/24 through Sunday, 1/4 CLOSED
- Monday, 1/5 and Tuesday, 1/6 open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, 1/7- RESUME NORMAL HOURS
During the month of February 2015, the Gumberg Library will be conducting an online survey to assess how well the library is serving the needs of Duquesne students, faculty, and staff. The Gumberg Library has conducted the LibQUAL+ survey every three years since 2006 to track service quality over time. LibQUAL+ offers the opportunity for students to help the library understand how to better fulfill the University mission. Those who participate in the survey will be entered in a drawing to win a variety of prizes. In previous years, the library has offered such prizes as iPads, Kindles, and gift cards. Continue reading
Gumberg Library recently launched QuickSearch, a new search tool that allows users to search the majority of Gumberg resources from a single search box. This means students can now search for books, scholarly articles, magazine articles, ebooks, digital collections and more, all at once from one location. Continue reading
Visit Gumberg Library between 9-11 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 1 to be part of what could be the largest group of students yet to gather in the library at once—perhaps with the exception of finals! Did you know Gumberg welcomed over half a million visitors last year? Continue reading
During Homecoming, Gumberg Library will feature archival footage of football and basketball games from the ‘50s, ‘60s, ‘70s, and ‘80s, including basketball’s NIT Championship game at Madison Square Garden in 1955. Additionally, Gumberg will share a selection of photographs, yearbooks and other items from the University Archives that document Duquesne University’s rich history. Stop by Gumberg during Homecoming week to view these archival gems.
On Friday, Oct. 3., 4-6 p.m., Gumberg Library will host an Alumni Poetry Reading in collaboration with the English Department. Duquesne alumni Cameron Barnett, Elizabeth Savage, Robert Giannotta and current student Samantha Leon will join former Pennsylvania Poet Laureate and Distinguished Professor Emeritus Samuel Hazo in reading from their works.
Gumberg Library will host an art exhibition that commemorates the 2014 centenary of the extinction of the passenger pigeon. The exhibition, titled Moving Targets, will open on Nov. 10 and continue through Dec. 6. Continue reading
Is Duquesne haunted? Come find out! Spend a spooky evening with University Archivist Thomas White, award-winning author of several books on Pennsylvania folklore. Listen to ghost stories and legends of the University and surrounding neighborhoods. The event will take place around Halloween. Date/time TBD.
Librarians can save you time and stress by helping you find, access, evaluate and cite sources for your research assignments. Consult with a librarian in-person, and via 24/7 chat, email, phone or text: Continue reading
April 7-11, 2nd Floor Union
Monday through Thursday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The upcoming Scholastic Book Sale will be just in time for Easter, spring holidays, First Communion gifts and summer reading! The sale format will be the same as last year: Buy One Get One Free – with the donation of a book! Continue reading
|Thursday April 17 – Sunday April 20||Closed|
|Monday April 28||24 hours study period begins at 7 a.m. **|
|April 29 – May 5||24 hour study period **|
|Tuesday May 6||24 hour study period ends at 9 p.m. **|
|Wednesday May 7 – Friday May 9||7 a.m. – 6 p.m.|
|Saturday May 10||10 a.m. – 6 p.m.|
|Sunday May 11||Closed|
More Writing Center Hours at Gumberg – You asked, we answered!
The Gumberg Library is one of the Writing Center’s satellite locations. Consulting hours for the Writing Center in the library are: Continue reading
- Our Ask A Librarian options are available at: http://ask.library.duq.edu
- NEW! – Duquesne chat is available when the Reference Desk is staffed
- Text us at a NEW number: 412.265.3599
- Email us at a NEW email address: email@example.com
- 24/7 online chat with an academic reference librarian via Ask Here PA
Spring 2014 Regular Hours
|Monday – Thursday||7 a.m. – 1 a.m.|
|Friday||7 a.m. – 9 p.m.|
|Saturday||10 a.m. – 9 p.m.|
|Sunday||11 a.m. – 1 a.m.|
Exceptions to Spring 2014 Regular Hours
|Friday Feb. 28||7 a.m. – 6 p.m.|
|Saturday, March 1 and Sunday, March 2||10 a.m. – 6 p,m.|
|Monday, March 3 – Friday, March 7||7 a.m. – 6 p.m.|
|Saturday, March 8||10 a.m. – 6 p.m.|
|Sunday, March 9||1 p.m. – 1 a.m.|
|Wednesday, April 16||7 a.m. – 9 p.m.|
|Thursday, April 17 – Sunday, April 20||Closed|
Gumberg Library will be open continuously from 7 a.m. Monday, Dec. 9 through 9 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 18. Free snacks at midnight! Quiet study is on the first, second, and third floors. Group study areas are the fourth and fifth floors. Always bring your ID—we card for your safety. Card swipe entry required from 5 p.m. to 7 a.m. weekdays, and all weekends.
Remember, snacks at midnight during finals at Gumberg and your DU ID is the key – make sure you have yours for swipe-in hours.
Encouraging Duquesne student organizations to submit a video on
“How does your organization live out #DURESPECT”
Browse or shop! The Scholastic Book Sale will be held Dec. 6-13 in the Student Union Atrium. Sale opens daily at 10 a.m. and benefits the Maureen Sullivan Curriculum Center on the fifth floor of the Gumberg Library. In addition to books there are gifts and posters. For more details contact Danielle Henzler at 412.396.1858.
Fall 2013 Gumberg Library Finals Hours
|Monday, Dec. 9 – Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2013
OPEN AT 7 A.M. ON DEC. 9 AND STAY OPEN 24 HOURS/DAY THROUGH TUESDAY, DEC. 17. CLOSE AT 9 P.M. ON WEDNESDAY, DEC. 18.
|Thursday, December 19, 2013||7 a.m. to 6 p.m.|
|Friday, December 20, 2013||7 a.m. to 4 p.m.|
|Saturday-Sunday, December 21-22, 2013||CLOSED|
|Monday, Dec. 23, 2013 – Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2014||CLOSED|
|Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014||CLOSED (Staff In-Service)|
|Friday, Jan. 3, 2014||7 a.m. to 6 p.m.|
|Saturday, Jan. 4, 2014 – Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014||CLOSED|
|Jan. 6, 2014||7 a.m. to 6 p.m.|
|Jan. 7, 2014||7 a.m. to 10 p.m.|
|Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014||Resume Regular Hours 7 a.m. to 1 a.m.|
Need Research Help? More Ways to Ask a Librarian!
- Text us at a NEW number: 412.265.3599
- Email us at a NEW email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NEW! – Chat with a Gumberg librarian when the Reference Desk is staffed
- Get research assistance 24/7 from an academic librarian via Ask Here PA
- Computers along the walls that allow for the addition of soft seating, ottomans, and small tables
- New chairs that are on wheels to make it easy for students to move them when they want to work alone or in groups
- New carpet in Duquesne red and blue
- Windows covered in solar film to reduce glare and heat loss
- New wraparound counter designed to hold four new “xpress” computers designated for quick lookups and quick printing
Is Duquesne haunted? Come find out! Spend a spooky evening with University Archivist Thomas White, author of several books on Pennsylvania folklore, on Wednesday, October 30, 8-9:30 p.m. at the Silverman Center on the 1st floor of Gumberg Library.
Listen to ghost stories and legends of the university and surrounding neighborhoods. Tasty treats too!
Fall 2013 Regular Hours
- Monday – Thursday: 7 a.m. to 1 a.m.
- Friday: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Sunday: 11 a.m. to 1 a.m.
Anyone entering Gumberg Library must swipe their ID card and show their photo ID during the following hours:
- Monday – Friday: 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to closing
- Saturday: All day
- Sunday: All day
- Monday, April 22 — Library opens at 7 a.m. to begin 24 hour study
- Tuesday, April 23 – Monday April 29 — Open 24 hours
- Tuesday, April 30 — 24 hour study ends when library closes at 9 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 1 – Friday, May 3 — 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, May 4 — 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday, May 5 — CLOSED
- Monday, May 6 — Begin Summer 2013 hours
Replacement of both front elevators in the Gumberg Library will continue during the 2013 spring semester. One elevator will be renovated at a time. Please be patience with increased noise levels. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Friday, March 1 — 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, March 2 — 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday, March 3 — 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Monday – Friday, March 4-8 — 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, March 9 — 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday, March 10 — 1 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Wednesday, March 27 — 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Thursday – Sunday, March 28-31 — CLOSED
- Monday, April 1 — 7 a.m. to 1 a.m.
Remember, you will need your Duquesne University I.D. to enter the Gumberg Library and check out resources.
24 Hour Study for Finals @ Gumberg Library
- Gumberg Library will be open continuously from 7 a.m. Monday, December 10 through 9 p.m. Tuesday, December 18.
- Free snacks at midnight! You’ll find quiet study on the first, second, and third floors.
- Group study areas are on the fourth and fifth floors.
- Always bring your ID—we card for your safety. Card swipe entry required between 5 p.m. and 7 a.m. weekdays, and on weekends.
- Gumberg Library will be open 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on December 19-20; 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Dec. 21; and closed Dec. 22-23.
- Note: Exams begin Wednesday, December 12, and the last final is given at 6 pm on Tuesday, December 18. Official graduation date is Thursday, December 20.
Study Tables an Endangered Species?
I hear Gumberg Library is a great place to study for finals unless you can’t find a place to sit!
You can help preserve study tables and their habitat! Don’t let this happen to your study space!
View photos of our recent renovations on Facebook, click here.
Too Noisy in the Living Learning Center?
All areas of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors of the library have been designated for quiet study. Additionally, keys to individual study carrels on the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th floors are available for checkout at the Circulation Desk. Continue reading
Study Breaks 2012: A Continuation of a Duquesne Tradition
Friday, April 27, from 9 p.m. to midnight, the Office of Residence Life and DU CARES will host the semi-annual (once each semester) Study Break. Continue reading
- Monday, April 23 – Opens at 7 a.m. – Begin finals hours
- Tuesday, April 24 to Monday, April 30 – Open 24 hours
- Tuesday, May 1 – Close at 9 p.m. – End finals hours
- Wednesday, May 2 – Friday, May 4, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, May 5, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday, May 6 – CLOSED
Swipe card access will be from 7 a.m. – 8 a.m. on Monday, April 23, and 5 p.m. – 8 a.m. Monday – Friday and all day and night on the weekend.
This year, two Duquesne University students were awarded the Gumberg Library Endowed Student Scholarship. Continue reading