Percentage of Female MBA Students Makes Duquesne a Leader in Diversity

Duquesne is No. 2 among the top universities in the country with robust gender diversity among MBA students.

In a U.S. News & World Report listing released last week, Duquesne was listed with 65.6 percent female enrollment in its MBA program, just a fraction of percentage points behind the leading University of North Carolina-Greensboro (65.9 percent).

Nationwide, women comprise less than 40 percent of graduate-level business students, according to U.S. News, while female business school leaders are less than 20 percent.

“It is wonderful to see an increase in bright young women entering our MBA programs and it’s a sign of the changing times,” said Dr. Karen Donovan, associate dean of graduate programs and executive education in the school of business. “When I completed my MBA, females comprised approximately 25 percent of the student body. The percentage was far less in my Ph.D. program. When I started my career in academia, I was one of only six female faculty members on a faculty of 75.

“While there is still gender disparity, it is no longer so stark,” Donovan continued. “The increasing number of strong female role models in the classroom as well as in the board room serves as an inspiration to the next generation of women. Additionally, the success of outstanding alumni reaching back and interacting with our students serves to illustrate that with hard work, the possibilities are endless.”