Duquesne Alumnus Returns to Campus as Unity Banquet Keynote Speaker

Lamman Rucker, a Duquesne alumnus, activist, actor and educator, will return to campus to serve as the keynote speaker at the Office of Multicultural Affairs’ eighth annual Unity Banquet and Scholarship Benefit on Thursday, March 20, in the Power Center Ballroom. The event will begin with a reception at 5 p.m., followed by dinner at 6 p.m.

The event recognizes Duquesne University students who are committed to academic excellence, diversity and inclusion.

“It’s very meaningful to be invited back to my alma mater and be a part of something positive that is designed to unify and uplift the campus and greater Pittsburgh community,” said Rucker. “To support Dr. Rahmon Hart, Dr. Judith Griggs and the Office of Multicultural Affairs is awesome, as well, since that department has always been a vital and unifying force for meeting student needs and impacting their academic excellence and cultural development.”

Rucker, a Pittsburgh native, is best known for his roles on the hit sitcom Meet the Browns and the Tyler Perry productions of Why Did I Get Married? and Why Did I Get Married Too? He also has appeared on the daytime dramas As the World Turns and All My Children.

Outside of his acting career, Lamman is a passionate activist and spokesman for several non-profit organizations and engages in numerous community service initiatives.

“Lamman is extremely committed to addressing a variety of social ills that plague underserved communities and groups of people,” said Dr. Rahmon Hart, director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs.  “He is a great fit for this event due to the fact that he is a product of Pittsburgh and Duquesne University.  I think it is critical for our campus community to recognize the many giants who have been educated on the Bluff.  Lamman is someone who we should all be proud of and the way he is using his gifts to impact change is truly inspirational.”

This will be Rucker’s first time back on campus since graduating in 2000 with a master’s degree in education and curriculum development.

“I’m super excited to come back to campus,” he said. “I’ve tried to be an example of the standard of excellence that Duquesne represents. I hope I’ve done a good job. I’m very appreciative and deeply honored.”

Advance registration is required by Friday, March 14. Cost to attend the Unity Banquet is $50, $10 for undergraduate students. Proceeds will help provide scholarship funds to University students. Purchase tickets online or in Room 106 of the Union. For more information, contact Dr. Rahmon Hart at 412.396.1117.