Music School Welcomes Back Alum for Guitar Master Class

Students from the Mary Pappert School of Music will have the opportunity to glean from the wisdom and experience of Duquesne graduate and musician Adrian Galysh at a special master class on campus next week.

School of Music Graduate Adrian Galysh

Galysh studied jazz guitar and classical piano at the music school, and graduated in 1997 with a bachelor’s degree in sound recording technology. Today, he is a Los-Angeles-based guitarist and musician who has produced three albums. He will address marketing, press kits, auditions, advice on the music business and more during his Oct. 15 master class.

“Adrian Galysh is a hardworking and talented guitarist/composer that has aspired to be the best at his chosen genre of music, he has with utmost certainty achieved that goal,” said Mark Koch, director of jazz guitar in the music school, who taught Galysh as an undergraduate. “He’s an inspiration to all students of the guitar, and we’re especially glad that he’s made time in his busy schedule to work with our students here in the music school.”

Galysh has been playing guitar since the age of 12, and has recorded or performed with musicians such as Francis Buchhultz of The Scorpions, country guitarist Johnny Highland, Living Colour and Dweezil Zappa, among many others. A regular contributor to Guitar World magazine, Galysh has been featured as a “player you should know” in Guitar Player magazine and as a guest on The Guitar Radio Show.

Galysh credits the School of Music with readying him for what was ahead for him in his career. “The music school prepared me for a professional career by making me a well-rounded musician,” said Galysh. “In today’s industry, it helps to be able to wear many different hats. In addition to getting world-class guitar instruction, Duquesne’s music school made me a singer, pianist, recording engineer and an entrepreneur.”

Looking back, Galysh said that courses he took at Duquesne—including music history, 18th century counterpoint, conducting, music technology and jazz arranging—have helped him with everything from teaching to composing to writing jingles or doing a recording session.

“My time at Duquesne was so fun and special to me,” added Galysh. “I made life long friends, was pursuing my dream and my passion, and I have very fond memories there.”