Members of the campus community are invited to participate in events held as part of Spiritan Campus Ministry’s 11 Days of Peace. The activities lead up to the International Day of Peace on Friday, Sept. 21.
Established by a United Nations resolution in 1981 to coincide with the opening of the General Assembly, International Day of Peace provides an opportunity for individuals, organizations and nations to create practical acts of peace on a shared date.
“The conversations and activities are designed to help us engage others in the peacemaking process, whether it be signing a peace pledge, making a personal peace pole or sharing stories with students from different countries,” Campus Minister Linda Donovan said. “Our hope is to strengthen ideals of peace within our community and to remind us each day that peace begins with each individual.”
Events for 11 Days of Peace include:
Tuesday, Sept. 18
- Mass for Peace, noon, Chapel of the Holy Spirit
Thursday, Sept. 20
- Campus conversation with international students, noon to 1 p.m., Popular Reading Room, Gumberg Library
Friday, Sept. 21: International Day of Peace
- Moment of silence, noon
- Mass and candle service, noon, Chapel of the Holy Spirit
- Peace is a Right: Freedom From Fear, 4 to 6:30 p.m., Union Ballroom
- Gathering of the international flags, 6:30 p.m., Union perron, Academic Walk.
- International flag ceremony and main program, 7 p.m., Union Ballroom.