President Gormley Announces Expanded Cabinet, Adds Members

President Ken Gormley shared the following Cabinet announcement with faculty and staff.

Dear faculty and staff colleagues,

As you know, our University community has faced unprecedented challenges in doing our part for containing the spread of Coronavirus. Our work together has challenged every aspect of our operation as we have worked to continue delivering on our mission in vastly changed circumstances.

Since early March, and through the height of the most immediate challenges Duquesne has faced, I have consulted regularly with my Joint Council, the expanded leadership team that I created at the time I became President. This group includes my Cabinet members (i.e. all Vice Presidents) plus several other key administrators. Over the past months, we have been meeting nearly daily, with each person bringing unique talents and expertise to the table. All of these administrators have been instrumental in my decision making, reinforcing what I have recognized for some time—that this entire group constitutes my leadership team and should be recognized as such.

Dave Harper
Dave Harper
Rev. James McCloskey
Rev. James McCloskey
Mary Ellen Solomon
Mary Ellen Solomon

For that reason, I am expanding my Cabinet to include all members of the former Joint Council. This means that, along with all current vice presidents, the Cabinet will now include the following three individuals, who have made enormous contributions to our collective work: Mary Ellen Solomon, chief of staff and executive vice president for executive affairs; the Rev. James McCloskey, C.S.Sp., senior advisor to the president for strategic initiatives; and Dave Harper, athletic director.

The full Cabinet, which continues to work around the clock for the good of the entire University community, now comprises the following individuals:

Chuck Bartel, vice president for information technology and chief information officer
Paul-James Cukanna, vice president for enrollment management
David Dausey, provost and vice president for academic affairs
Fr. Ray French, vice president for mission and identity
Matt Frist, vice president for finance and business
Doug Frizzell, vice president for student life
Bill Generett, vice president for community engagement
Dave Harper, director of athletics
The Rev. James McClosky, C.S.Sp., senior advisor to the president for strategic initiatives
John Plante, vice president for university advancement
Madelyn Reilly, vice president for legal affairs and general counsel
Mary Ellen Solomon, chief of staff and associate vice president for executive affairs
Gabe Welsch, vice president for marketing and communications.

Please join me in congratulating the new members of Cabinet, and in extending thanks and gratitude to the entire leadership team as they continue to work tirelessly to address those challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.